THIS BLOG IS CLOSED - SEE OVERVIEW

Monday, January 7, 2013

Getting Started

. . One thing I have learned when drafting this initial route for our proposed ride is when one is trying to cover 300 miles in five days, one does not have a lot of options. With sixty-mile days which translate to about eight hours in the saddle (from 7:30AM to 3:30PM) including time off for snacking, lunching, rest stops, and general touring, I had to focus on the most direct routes with the least PUCs, with reasonable levels of services in route, and with places to sack-out at terminal points. 

. . The RAT-2013 is not a BRAT that the youngins delight in.  It’s an Elder Tour suitable for those of us with issues of health and aged legs. With that criterion I have a decent route into Bristol that does not include a “big climb,” but it will take a sixth day.

. . The question that you brought up in an earlier email – when do we propose doing this trek – probably needs some candidate dates.  Bruce told me you had some commitments and that we would want to work around your schedule.  So what are your thoughts?

. . Then we have the question of whether we want to try this ride supported or unsupported.  I could probably outfit my minivan to carry six bicyclists and be a chase vehicle. Again thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Tom,
    I just re read this with some contemplative time. Eight hours is longer than we usually take to do 60 miles I usually figure 10 mph door to door. Maybe we can dawdle that long but for at lest the first two days there's precious little to see and in general, snacking along the route is preferable to a long lunch. Delina was an exception. However, this time of year planing for couple of extra hours will allow us to shelter from the thunderstorms we'll surely see.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.